sábado, 26 de junho de 2010

Album of the month: Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone

Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Akercocke hail from England and their music would be considered pretty terrifying for someone who isn't familiar with extreme metal. I, on the other hand, am and know how to recognize a masterpiece when I see one. Again, they are a progressive metal band but they are much more than that, they throw death metal and black metal in there as well. What intrigued me about them was that they seemed to have built a sound of their own, very individual and standing out in the scene. And then I listened to 'Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone' and it was love. This, I think, is one of the best extreme prog albums I ever heard, without a hint of doubt. It's as diverse as any prog masterpiece and everything seems to fit to perfection, revealing a really inspired group of songwriters. Being so diverse in extreme metal is a rare thing, I find, and that's probably what got me addicted to this album and this band. It's pure headbanging violent madness at times, yes, it's heavy metal, but its tasteful and dare I say delicately put together. I've been inclined for the more extreme metal genres lately, which is something I welcome because that's where I started. The lyrics are a slap in the face of religion and since I can relate, it makes perfect sense for me but there's also this underlying questioning of life and what we are told by society to believe in. It's done in a smart way and it elicits an emotional response. Needless to say that in metal so much is about our emotional responses, about what's beneath the surface, under the skin, about what scares us to death deep inside, about our mental demons, about our alter egos, about our pain. Akercocke makes us go there. And it's never easy, is it?

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário